J-LOFT is excited to offer it’s second annual Service Trip to New Orleans – and we’d love for you to join!
The trip will take place over spring break – April 14-19, 2024
Who can participate?
Registration is now open to teens from the MetroWest area in grades 8-9. We are also looking for several parent chaperons.
What’s included in the trip?
We will work hard and play hard. During the day we will work together with YRNO on one (or several) of their current renovation projects. Specific work can vary from painting, building house frames, cleaning debris, and other tasks.
How much does it cost?
The overall cost of the trip for, including flights, accommodation, ground transpiration and food is $750 per participant, and $500 per adult chaperon. For families not affiliated with one of the partnering synagogues, there is an addition $200 fee.
What would a day in New Orleans look like?
While not every day will be exactly the same, here’s a sample itinerary:
7:00 – 7:30 AM Breakfast
7:30 – 7:45 Prepare brown bag lunches and prepare for day of work
7:45 – 8:00 Orientation to the day
8:00 – 8:30 Travel to worksite
8:30 – 12:00 AM work session
12:00 – 1:00 PM Lunch (can include lunch and learn opportunities)
1:00 – 3:30 PM work session
5:00 – 6:00 Clean up, relax, dinner preparation
6:00 – 7:00 Dinner including debrief of day
7:00 – Evening activity
What are the evening activities?
We wish we could fit all of these in one week, but we will definitely visit some of the following:
– Jazz music at Snug Harbor
– Walking along Mississippi Riverwalk (including Holocaust Memorial)
– Thursday night Cajun night at Rock n’ Bowl
– National World War II Museum
– Tour of Tulane University
– Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience
– Walking tour of French Quarter and Market
– Jazz boat tour on the Mississippi
– Tour of 9 the Ward and Hurricane Katrina memorial
– Beignets at Café du Monde (or other locations)
– Tour of NOLA Convention Center