Service Trip to New Orleans
J-LOFT if thrilled to offer it’s first Youth Service Trip to New Orleans – and we’d love for you to join!
The trip will take place over spring break – April 16-21, 2023.
Who can participate?
Registration is now open to teens from the MetroWest area in grades 8-12. We are also looking for several parent chaperons.
What’s included in the trip?
We will work hard and play hard. During the day we will work together with YRNO on one (or several) of their current renovation projects. Specific work can vary from painting, building house frames, cleaning debris, and other tasks.
What would a day in New Orleans look like?
While not every day will be exactly the same, here’s a sample itinerary:
7:00 – 7:30 AM Breakfast
7:30 – 7:45 Prepare brown bag lunches and prepare for day of work
7:45 – 8:00 Orientation to the day
8:00 – 8:30 Travel to worksite
8:30 – 12:00 AM work session
12:00 – 1:00 PM Lunch (can include lunch and learn opportunities)
1:00 – 4:30 PM work session
5:00 – 6:00 Clean up, relax, dinner preparation
6:00 – 7:00 Dinner including debrief of day
7:00 – Evening activity
What are the evening activities?
We wish we could fit all of these in one week, but we will definitely visit some of the following:
– Jazz music at Snug Harbor
– Walking along Mississippi Riverwalk (including Holocaust Memorial)
– Thursday night Cajun night at Rock n’ Bowl
– National World War II Museum
– Tour of Tulane University
– Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience
– Walking tour of French Quarter and Market
– Jazz boat tour on the Mississippi
– Tour of 9 the Ward and Hurricane Katrina memorial
– Beignets at Café du Monde (or other locations)
– Tour of NOLA Convention Center
Who is organizing the trip?
The trip is organized by J-LOFT and Volunteer Ventures of Massachusetts. While this is J-LOFT’s first service trip, the leadership of VVMA have led many trips before Covid. In NOLA, we will partner with the local organization – Youth Rebuilding New Orleans – which will provide us with the accommodation, training, supervision, and job assignments.
All ready to go? Go ahead and fill out the application!
Info Session Registration - Thursday, February 9, 7:00pm